Kindergarten Enrollment Requirements
- Immunization record (must be up to date for kindergarten not pre-school)
- Mandatory Lead Testing – All children enrolling are required to have at least one lead test.
- Vision Screening Requirements – Each public or accredited nonpublic school shall forward to the Iowa Department of Public Health evidence of each Kindergartner’s valid vision screening performed no earlier than 1 year prior to enrollment and no more than 6 months after the date of the child’s enrollment. The school nurse can collaborate with community providers or conduct the screening themselves.
- Dental Screening Requirement – All children enrolled are required to have a dental screening. There is no school exclusion with this mandated health screening. A school nurse may complete the Kindergarten Dental Screening.
- Physical- Kindergarten students are asked to have their child seen by a Physician prior to starting school.
3rd Grade Vision Screening Requirements
To be valid, a minimum of one child vision screening shall be performed no earlier than one year prior to the date of enrollment in 3rd grade and no later than six months after the date of the child’s enrollment in 3rd grade. The NM school nurse performs this and satisfies this requirement.
7th Grade Immunization Requirements
Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap) Vaccination Requirement: Beginning the 2013-2014 school year and thereafter, students entering 7th grade and above if born on or after September 15, 2000, shall have a one-time dose of tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (Tdap) vaccine.
Meningococcal Secondary School Vaccination Requirement: Beginning the 2017-2018 school year and thereafter, Students entering 7th grade born on or after September 15, 2004, shall have one dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine. There is no provisional period to implement this requirement.
9th Grade Requirement
Dental Screening Requirement: All children enrolled in ninth grade are required to have a dental screening. There is no school exclusion. To access the certificate of dental screening form, exemption form, dental screening flyer, and link to find your community’s regional I smile Coordinator go to School Dental Screenings
12th Grade Immunization Requirement
Meningococcal (Meningitis) Secondary School Vaccination Requirement: Beginning the 2017-2018 school year and thereafter, students entering 12th grade born on or after September 15, 1999, shall have two doses of meningococcal conjugate vaccine; or 1 dose if one dose was previously received when the student was sixteen years of age or older. There is no provisional period to implement this requirement if the student has received no meningococcal conjugate vaccine.